Metal Sculpture ~ ~ Mud Crack Bowl


Site-Specific Bowl (2011)

This bowl is meant to be put into the landscape of a dried-up riverbed, like the one pictured below.

An old but wonderful assignment during my years in school, the Site-Specific Bowl, became this sculpture.

How it came to me...
I was looking for interesting textures in places I have been and places I want to be and came across the picture below and the idea struck me...

My goal for this piece was to create the effects of a barren river which focuses on the cracks, but with a representation of the water that is or is not there.

In the center there are fabricated cracks and an encircling bowl around them representing the river. I created this with a technique called chasing and repousse. I love this technique and the results.

During this time and the following years, we had been experiencing a drought, so I thought it was important to recognize what we see and don't see while out in the landscape of our environment.

I used copper for the sunken bowl and the textured cracks. The texture was done using the technique chasing and repousse while a patina was applied to the surrounding copper to give the blue-teal color to the surface using copper nitrate.

This was a challenging, but well worth it project and I strongly look forward to creating more.

I hope this piece can raise awareness for our (unfortunately) often drought stricken state in the future.




copper, patina
2011





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts